Posted by : Ebrant10 Saturday, April 11, 2015

I think its safe to say everyone in good old PA can take a big sigh of relief and watch spring start to bloom, trees are budding out and grass is getting green again...and the bugs are getting underway. While we still have some time before the sulphers get going plenty of early seasons hatches are kicking off. Bwos are taking fish on top and ive even witnessed a few grannom caddis fluttering. With the nicer weather come plenty of welcomed fisherman working runs and catching trout. Some of the forums and pages i like to follow have been showing alot of nice trout pictures and some that just, well, arent so nice to the trout. with this post im hoping to help spread the education of keeping trout wet and not flopping them on the bank for a quick picture.


While I'll admit I've done it in the past myself once I learned that it can really cause a lot of harm to wild trout I changed the way I take pictures of them. Please do NOT do this!


Setting a wild trout on the bank or any trout that is intended for release removes the protective slime coating off of the fish. While it may swim off strong and seem healthy when it's released it could cause the trout to get an infection of the skin or a parasite that the slime helped prevent. 


Truth be told handling any trout isn't good for them but what's the point in fishing if you can't touch it. To help the fish, keep it in the water until your ready to photograph it. Nets are the number one way in my book to do this. I know people that don't carry nets and manage to get amazing pictures without causing harm to fish, but a net just makes it so much simpler. 

With the magnetic releases they make, keeping a net on your back secured to your pack is super simple and readily available when the time comes. What I like to do is keep my phone (or camera in my chest pocket on my waders. It's waterproof if you take a spill and right in front of you. I keep te fish in the net under the water until I have my phone ready to go. If the fish gets out, no crying,  I know I didn't kill the fish just to get the picture which is a lot better feeling.


With my iPhone (droids could be the same I don't have one so I'm not sure) I can take videos, pause the video and slide through each frame and then screen shot each image I want. This makes for a great way to get some cool release pictures! Another thing you can do with the iPhone is set the phone on the bank with the screen camera active and take a video of yourself picking up the fish if it's to big to hold with one hand and take the picture with the other.
Practice this with smaller fish so when you get a pig you know what to do.


A net with a deep bag makes it nice to keep fish in safe captivity. They don't have to be elaborate or expensive although few things are as pretty as a custom made net such as this, my friend Chris of out of the riffle woodworks made for me. He is on Facebook, Instagram, and etsy and is a true craftsman.

Always wet your fish hand before you get it out of the net to help keep from taking the slime off of it.

I know what this post says is just a repeat of what others have said and preached, but if it changes the way one person handles wild trout, I will feel like I did my part in helping. I hope everyone has a great spring and can get into some good fishing.

Go barbless, catch and release wild trout, and as always tight lines everyone!

-Evan 

{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

- Copyright © Sideling Hill Hackle - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -